Water Meters and Rotating Walls
We've had some delays waiting on Birmingham Water Works and Alabama Power to get out to hook up meters, but the water meters were finally installed this week. It took a while but once they got to it, I think they sent everybody; my friend Kevin Keck took a nice picture of 15 gentlemen standing around waiting to dig. Now we can finish up the connections and get ready for final inspection from the city! There will still be some trim work to be done after inspection, but I should be able to move in at that point, and start leasing storage and parking. We've got the raw space finished for El Barrio. They will start their buildout in the next couple of weeks, and I'm really excited to see what they do with it.
In order to create a separate front entrance for my loft and our storage customers, we've cut a third front door perpendicular to the street. The Appleseed guys did a great job matching the existing doors and building the new one out of wood salvaged from the building.
The frames for the loft windows were completely rebuilt. This turned out to be more difficult than anticipated. There were no standards in 1911 and the windows were all custom built, so they are all different sizes by fractions of an inch. Mike was concerned that they might not be able to open and close, but they do, so now I can hang out the window and scream at people walking down the sidewalk.
There have been a lot of incremental, if somewhat less photogenic, improvements. The elevator is installed and waiting on inspection; my mom is in a wheelchair so she'll be able to see the upstairs for the first time, soon. Pantry shelving has been installed, and I'm excited about how much space I'm going to have. I also included pictures of the master bathroom light fixtures to rectify my poor photo from last week.